The Mechanical Engineering (ME) S-STEM Program at UMBC aims to provide enhanced educational opportunities to 20 economically disadvantaged and academically talented undergraduate students in the ME Department. Through scholarships and supplemental support services, this program promotes full-time enrollment and will elevate the scholastic achievement of the S-STEM scholars, with a special emphasis on females and/or underrepresented minorities. It will provide a holistic and novel educational experience combining science, engineering, technology and medicine to improve student retention and future career prospects.
- The S-STEM scholarship is a need and academic performance based scholarship for to up to 20 students annually, in an average amount of $6000.
- The program is aimed at recruiting, mentoring, and supporting undergraduate students in Mechanical Engineering at UMBC.
- It incorporates research experiences into education via seminars and access to research laboratories.
- It provides academic and professional development opportunities that identify employment and paths for graduate study.
- It incorporates innovative approaches to improve students’ transfer experience from local community colleges.
- The S-STEM program has a dedicated leadership team consisting of research and educational faculty with student support specialists.
Application Requirements for all Mechanical Engineering S-STEM Scholars:
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must complete the application form.
- Must write a letter of interest (250 words maximum, typed).
- Must attach a letter of recommendation from a teacher, and a copy of your SAT (or ACT) scores if you’re a high school senior.
- Must attach a copy of current Student Aid Report generated from FAFSA (UMBC ID# is 002105, www.fafsa.ed.gov).
- Must be accepted for admission to the UMBC Mechanical Engineering program or have intention to enroll in Mechanical Engineering Program, and maintain a full-time student status.
- Must attach a copy of a high school or college transcript.
Requirements for Acceptance and Timeline for Consideration:
|Criteria for New Applicants and/or Continuation of Current S-STEM Scholars at UMBC|
|Category||Sources of Application||Criteria for Consideration||Deadline|
|A||Current High School Seniors||GPA of 2.75; recommendation of one teacher; copy of SAT (or ACT); letter of interest||May 15th for Fall|
|B||Recent High School Graduates (within 3 years)||GPA of 2.75 at graduation; one recommendation letter; letter of interest||May 15th for Fall|
|C||Community College Transfer Students||GPA of 2.75; 12 credits earned within the last 2 years; letter of interest||May 15th for Fall; December 1st for Spring|
|D||Current UMBC Students||GPA of 2.75; letter of interest||May 15th for Fall; December 15th for Spring|
|E||Other: Returning and transfer students from other 4-yr colleges||GPA of 2.75; recommendation letter from Student Support Services counselor or director; letter of interest||May 15th for Fall; December 15th for Spring|
|Note: All awardees must meet financial aid criteria as established by the U.S. Department of Education and evaluated by UMBC’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for financial need.|
Scholarship Renewal Criteria:
- Maintain a minimum semester GPA of 2.75.
- Continue as a full-time student in the Mechanical Engineering Program at UMBC.
- Participate in all required Mechanical Engineering S-STEM Program activities.
- Complete the program surveys.